Monday, September 27, 2010

Slavery & Fictive Kinship

Slave Auction, Harper's Weekly

As we've read about "Three World Colliding" (African, Native-American and European culture), we have discussed ways that slaves resisted--both actively and passively-- the inhumane treatment and circumstances they found themselves in.
"Friends are relatives you make for yourself." Eustice Dechamps
Buying a greeting card--which had the above quote on it--for a friend who moved away, I was reminded of our discussion concerning the practice of fictive kinship by slaves. In class, we defined the practice and discussed why it was used.

What I would like to know, for extra credit, is one of the following:
1) Do you believe in or have you ever practiced the idea of fictive kinship? Explain why and the circumstances.
2) Give other examples of passive slave resistance. NO REPEATS :) If you need a little help, click here for a review or look in your book.

Two excellent historians on the subject of slavery include Eric Foner and Eugene Genovese. Check to see if the library carries the work of either if you'd like to learn more about these times. You could also do a review for the student blog for additional extra credit.

REMEMBER: when posting, for on line safety, please use only the initial of your first and last name and your period number. I can figure it out with that information :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

KH period 4.

My example of fictive kinship would be my experience with my foster sister Jnayia. She lived with us for a year and a half, in that time her and i became extremely close. She was considered part of our family and still is when we get to see her. She still knows me as sissy and my mom as mama. This is an example of fictive kinship because even though Jnayia wasn't blood related to us she was still considered part of the family.

Anonymous said...

I have experienced fictive kinship with my best friend. We have known each other since we were really young, so I have never known life without her, which is what it is like for blood related siblings. She is basically my sister, she even calls my parents "mom" and "dad", and walks in the house whenever she feels like it.

I think everyone has experience fictive kinship at least once in their life, because everyone has had really close friends who take a major role in their life.

KS period 4

Anonymous said...

My form of fictive kinship would be my best friend's mom. My mom and dad were divorced when I was young and I don't talk to my mom much, so I have somewhat adopted my best friend's mom as my stand-in for my real mom. I think fictive kinship can be a good thing as long as we realize that it's not reality, but a comfort tool.

Another tool that slaves used as passive resistance was "jumping the broom". It was a way for them to be married and have something of a life even though they were slaves.

TF period 0

Anonymous said...

Other examples of passive slave resistance is that slaves would break tools, inflict damage to them selfs, pregnant women would use the pregnancy to stay out of the fields and many slaves would just run away.

ZT period 0

Anonymous said...

i have practiced fictive kinship. my example is my 3 sisters, i look up to all three for different reasons, but only one is my biological siste. i have close bonds to the non related two, i have grown close to them over the years that i have known them. i also have aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. although they'er blood related i still consider them family and love them all.

AH period 0